[esa-t474] Updates

Yury Kolomensky YGKolomensky at lbl.gov
Wed Nov 7 22:14:27 GMT 2007

	Hi Mark and Alex,

I tend to agree with Alex's suggestions. In terms of whether we
understand why 1 and 2 behave so poorly... There is a potential
smoking gun in the plots vs ESA temperature. There is obviously some
correlation, but what could be the cause ? Cables is one obvious
possibility, although the effect seems to be huge for just the cable
explanation. Let's see... Assuming the offset at the time was around
250 um, we are looking at a 5% drift (12/250) per measly 0.3 degree
C. If it's due to an I/Q phase shift, we are talking about 18 degrees
at S-band, or a 5 mm length change. if the cable were a bare copper
waveguide, it would need the length of about 1 km to expand that
much. RF cables usually have better thermal coefficients for both
phase and attenuation, so this is doubtful.

However, there is a caveat. First off, what ESA temperature are you
plotting, Mark ? It should be rack temperature, which is more
representative of the environment. BPM temperatures are presumably
more stable because the BPMs are on a dedicated water chiller. But
even the rack temperature would not be representative of the
temperature *outside* (although it would track it), or of the
temperature of the west wall, along which the cables run. That
presumably drifts a bit more.

Anyway, I think we have the conclusion that over the short distance
scales (triplet) stability is OK, and we are limited by BPMs 1 and 2
to test the long lever arms. What I am wondering though is what you
would get if you just tried to extrapolate from BPMs 9,10 (which are
pretty good) to 3,4,5 ? Or the other way, 3,4,5 (which would give you
a little better handle on angle) to 9 or 10 ? This would have a
disadvantage that any differential drift within a triplet is
amplified, but the advantage is that the environment is the same, so
perhaps we can set a limit on long-term stability of such configuration.

Yury