[esa-t474] Energy resolution for the ESA spectrometer

Alexey Lyapin al at hep.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 14:42:56 GMT 2010

On 03/16/2010 10:29 AM, Michele Viti wrote:
> Alexey Lyapin wrote:
>>
>> Gentlemen,
>>
>> Many apologies -- since we are not doing any sort of climate change
>> research, I have to withdraw my analysis! ;) I thought the results
>> looked too good to be true, and the reason for that is that I mistook
>> a mover scan for an energy scan!!! :( At least I had something to
>> laugh about for at least 5 minutes :)
>>
>> Really sorry for these misleading results, but in any case I think we
>> do want to publish a paper soonish, as Michele has done some really
>> good work. I will try my approach to the right piece of data and see
>> if it still works and cross-compare. By the way, Michele, which data
>> set did you use to generate fig. 12 in your note?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Very embarrassed Alex
> Hi Alexey,
> nothing to be embarrassed:-))
> so..you mean the figure 12 in the first note? not the one corrected by
> Juergen...I guess..
> so these are data from run 2743. The event number is shown in the plot:
> 11300 - 12700...
> check first the data from energy BPMs to see where the energy scan
> is...I hope I didnt do a mistake as well!!:-PPPP
> you never know...:-PPP
>
> gruesse
>
> Michele

Thanks Michele! That was exactly my mistake - I did not check the energy
BPMs first. Now actually looking at the same energy scan data I am
getting about 20 MeV or 7e-4 resolution, which is consistent with your
results. There is some room for improvement (fix bpm24 and include into
the analysis, include the NMR data, maybe include bpms 31/32, zygo
data...), but we shall see if we can get any closer to the 1e-4 level...

Cheers,
Alex