[esa-t474] All corrections to T474 paper complete

Yury Kolomensky yury at physics.berkeley.edu
Sun Mar 30 06:23:28 BST 2008

	Hi Mark,

On Mar 29, 2008, at 1:08 PM, Mark Slater wrote:
> Thanks for the comments, Yury. I have ammended the reply to points
> 2 and
> 11 and changed the specs. I would be very grateful if this was
> checked to
> make sure I'm not talking rubbish!

Have you update the draft as well ?

> Chris A.: Has there been a direct measurement of the coupling for BPMs
> 3-5?
>
> Yury: What are the specs for the front-end filter (the one centred at
> 2856)?

These are two types of filters. For dipole cavities in BPMs 31-32,
41-42 and 9-11, we used 4-pole cavity Filters, RLC Model
CBPF-2856-20-4-R. 2856 MHz center frequency, 20 MHz bandwidth. For
BPMs 3-5, and Q cavities in other BPMs, we used 3-pole RLC filters
with 100 MHz bandwidth, model BPF-500-2856-100-3-RF

> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>

>>> ********************************
>>> 2) In several places (line 178 on p. 12, and later, in lines 671
>>> to 674 on
>>> p. 42, line 587, p. 35), the paper talks
>>> about unwanted coupling with other modes
>>> in the cavity. BPM 1 is said to have rectangular cavities, and I am
>>> guessing that the mechanical damage brought the
>>> detuned orthogonal mode closer to the
>>> filter acceptance window.  Is the artifact in the BPM 4x signal
>>> due to the
>>> same issue? In that case, analysis of the
>>> residual vs. motion in the y-direction
>>> would give a much clearer indication of the source of the cross-
>>> coupling
>>> (if data is available).
>>>

> MWS: The damage to the cavity seems to have allowed the orthogonal
> mode to
> be accepted by the coupler due to the change in geometry. In
> general, the
> coupling in the rectangular cavities (1-2, 9-11) will be dominated
> by the
> proximity to neighbouring cavities (around -30-40dB). There would be
> direct coupling for the cylindrical cavities but this was measured
> to be
> at a similar level. At the offsets recorded (~200um), it is highly
> unlikely we would see a coupled signal in the orthogonal channel.
> During
> calibrations (mover or corrector) when the offset was larger, any
> residual
> seen is almost certainly going to be dominated by relative rotation
> errors
> between the axes of the beam/BPM movement and the couplers making it
> difficult to measure from the beam data.

Not sure if this discussion of the coupling is sufficiently
descriptive or will raise other issues, but sounds OK. As for the
orthogonal mode, I am not entirely sure if this interference in BPM 1
is due to the X-dipole mode coupling to Y or vice versa (the natural
separation is over 100 MHz, which seems large to significantly
shifted by the mechanical damage, but possible). We do observe two
modes in BPM41-Y with a network analyzer, separated by about 3 MHz.

Yury