[esa-t474] Things to do before running

Yury Kolomensky yury at physics.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 29 03:25:14 GMT 2008

  	Hi all,

I might be out of the country May 24-Jun 12 or at least Jun 7-12 (not
certain yet, but likely). We can tune cavities before I leave, and
check out the hardware (Johnny is actually doing the gain
measurements right now, so we know the channels with calibrator
signals on (X and Q) are functional). If you are bringing additional
calibrator boxes, I'll have to leave connecting and cabling to your
able hands.

Two questions on the hardware. Can you bring an RF source ? The old
HP generator I've been using for LO has died, and I have no spare.
Will attempt to send it for repairs, and we can try begging/borrowing/
stealing from Doug et al, but it would be good to have a dedicated
source. Number two is about the broken SIS card, that I think is back
in the UK. Is there a chance to have it repaired ?

On Mar 28, 2008, at 9:29 AM, Alexey Lyapin wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> You are quite right, this will be a tough run and will require
> quite some coordination. For that reason I think we should start
> joint T-474/T-480 meetings, possibly next week. Since we have a
> usual ESA Monday 8am/4pm meeting next week, maybe we can meet again
> at 9:30am/5:30pm as usual or just stretch the ESA meeting a bit?

We have a standing 9:30 meeting this Monday, and bi-weekly
thereafter. Can change to weekly if needed.

> I guess the hardware crew will start a bit earlier, EU people
> arriving the weekend of June 7/8. Analysis guys should follow with
> a delay of a day or two. Then I suggest the following blocks:
>
> June  9-11: Hardware installation, NMR calibrations, initial checkouts
> June 11-13: Commissioning, goal: all BPM channels working,
> reasonable resolution, all calibration signals fed in, new movers
> working etc
> June 14-15: Stability runs for BPM studies
> June 16-20: Collimator + Energy spectrometer runs
> June 21-22: Energy spectrometer stability studies + Collimator studies

Sounds like a reasonable plan. When do you guys actually arriving,
and what hardware do you plan to bring ? Since there will be beam in
the ESA for T-487, some initial commissioning can be done parasitically.

Let me comment on the lists:

> Cheers,
> Alex
>

> Mark Slater wrote:
>> Dear All,
>> Before Easter, Bino, Nigel and myself had a get-together to
>> discuss  the upcoming run. We came up with the following list of
>> things that need to be done beforehand to ensure we have good BPM
>> resolution and also some specific T480/T474 things. Please add/
>> remove as you see fit. Also, we will probably be quite short-
>> staffed for this run and so if anyone wants to volunteer to be in
>> charge of a specific area, do say so. I've 'volunteered' some
>> people already so please confirm if this is OK!
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>> General BPM Jobs
>> ----------------
>> Determine channel map (Yury?) Setup scripts for processing, Data
>> quality, Calibration (HH), Cal Tone (Bino very kindly said he will
>> set this up beforehand and I'll make sure it's all working
>> beforehand) Check Cal tone running (Alex?) Tune Cavities (Yury?)
>> Alignement Mover Systems (MikeW?)
>> Interferometer (MikeH?)

I think the time order implied is backwards ? :) I.e. interferometer
checkout, mover alignment, cavity tuning, cal tone etc should be done
before the run. We'll form the channel maps ahead of time too.

>> 1 Shift to determine:
>> 	Frequency Run  (Freqs, decays, t0s, Bandwidth)
>> 	Calibration
>> 	Resolution/Stability
>> 	Optimise Attenuation / Dynamic Range (maybe a bit optimistic)

This is probably 2 shifts, if we will need accesses to change
attenuation, etc. I think to first order though we will leave all
dipole cavities with minimal attenuation (charge will be low), and so
the only attenuation to optimize would be on the Q cavities. That is
pretty quick.

Yury