[esa-t474] spectrometer uncertainty

Yury Kolomensky YGKolomensky at lbl.gov
Thu Dec 6 13:38:56 GMT 2007

	Hi Bino,

this is a good start, and good to see the formalism being put
together in full detail. A full simulation is clearly needed: in the
end, one needs to produce effectively a set of matrix elements to
convert BPM measurements (1+2, 3+5, 4+7, or possibly adding 9-11)
into energy (e.g. you can do this in simulation varying x, x', and E
and then invert the matrix). The questions of strategy (3 BPM
stations vs 4 (or 2 magnets vs 4), the use of SVD, the systematic
effects and mitigation) need to be studied as well.

I actually think it is possible to use the SVD -- as long as the
coefficients are fixed over the course of the energy measurement
(e.g. computed for zero field and then applied to both +B and -B, or
computed at +B and applied to both +B and -B). In some sense this is
similar to the mover scan calibration. However, the details need to
be worked out, in particular whether the matrix elements you compute
in the simulation change with the SVD.

Anyway, good start.

Yury