[esa-t474] spectrometer uncertainty

Bino Maiheu bino at hep.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 09:15:22 GMT 2007

Hi Eric,

>     This stuff is important, and I am glad somebody is
> trying to think about it deeply.  You should state right
> up front in your note that you are defining E_beam as
> the beam energy in the middle of the chicane.  I don't
> know how much energy loss there is in the ESA chicane
> (something you should calculate) but I would guess the
> beam energy loss through each dipole pair is significant
> at the 100 ppm level.

Indeed. I'm looking to some formulas to calculate the energy loss at the
moment, so I'll be producing some plots for reference.

>     Also, don't forget about the installed precision on
> the roll of the magnets.  This directly affects int(B dl)
> and probably will be one of your largest uncertainties.
> It is possible that you can actually measure this better
> than the survey accuracy from the BPM data by looking for
> a "bend" in the vertical direction, although you will be
> fighting against a sin(theta) term.  Perhaps this is
> already being done.

Right, I don't think anyone is looking into this, but I'll definitely
put it on the list. Can do it quite easily with the simulation program.

Thanks for your comments !

Cheers,
    bino

--