[esa-t474] updated calibrations

Smith, Jonathan (smithjd) j.d.smith at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Aug 25 18:13:35 BST 2006

Hi Bino (and others)

I tried to explain this in summary in a reply to one of the emails on Tuesday or Wednesday I think, but certainly it looks like a complete description is required!

Specifically I ran a script sitting in the collimator directory called conv_all_js7.pl. At the time it only had a start run set, (probably to 369 or thereabouts) and consequently would have looked at all run numbers greater than 369.

This does two things
1) looks for existing dat files for which root files don't exist, and runs runBPM.csh (a version called no_prefix which Nigel modified while we  were out in April to take full path names) on them. This dumps files in ./root

 When I ran this on the 22nd I should have commented the line that actually did the conversion out, as you were actually doing the processing. If the root file already existed, it wouldn't overwrite it. It would use whatever callibrations exist at the time. Nevertheless it was a bit unfortunate putting all these here. I've made chmodded them all g+rw, and so you should be able to delete any that get in the way, I've just not got around to deleting that particular set of root files. My previous version of the script had various run ranges to exclude, which would have included some of the stability data. It was modified by Adriana & Yury I think, and the bit that excluded some files was removed. I just ran it before checking the version. I should put these exclude ranges back in to prevent this happening again. My mistake not doing it before. Sorry.

At one point I was going to extend it to look also for files for which the stamp on the callibration file referred to in BpmConstDDC.index was more recent that the root had been processed, and in these cases reprocess the associated root files. I'm pretty sure I never got around to this, although it might save you some effort if I did. The benefit of the way Adriana and Yury set it up is it'll now take a run range (you can specify this on the command line) and it'll just reprocess these.

2) looks for existing root files without a corresponding mat file, and runs root2mat on them. This is why I ran it on Tuesday, in order that we would get new mat files associated with the root files you had been working on.

Everything in /nfs/slac/g/esa/ilc/data looks to still be owned by zms, which is as it should be, with the most recent files on Jul 19th.

In /nfs/slac/g/esa/ilc/data the runs for which jdasmith is owner, you can safely delete, as these will have just used the state of the Esa/BpmConstDDC.index at the time, which was almost certainly not helpful, almost certainly confusing, and somewhat distracting.

I'll be on email all weekend, so if any further clarification is required, don't hesitate to get in touch. Likewise, if more new root files go up for our runs - let me know and I'll make sure my colleagues have the mat files ASAP (without producing root files this time!)

Nigel is back next week, and would I'm sure be grateful for the chance to contribute to a discussion on our processing strategy.

Cheers,

Jonny