[esa-t474] 1st DRAFT paper energy resolution

Michele Viti michele.viti at desy.de
Tue Mar 16 11:21:43 GMT 2010

Matthew Wing wrote:

> Dear Michele,
>
> The results look promising.  I have a few semi-detailed comments on a
> quick read of the paper but state them now as they may require some
> changes.
>
> Cheers,
> Matthew.
>
> o Figure 6.  You say that "Not all possible combinations are shown."  I
>   wonder why as you show four combinations and there are anyway only six,
>   aren't there ?  In this case, I would then show all.
>
> o Figure 6, top right.  This graph has a particularly strange structure,
>   with a double peak.  Do you have any comment ?
>
> o Solving Eq.4, I do not get Eq.5.  Maybe I have made a mistake, but
> could
>   you check.  E.g. if I take line 1 in Eq.4 and use the values in Eq.5
>   0.187^2 + 0.018^2, then I definitely won't get 0.1865^2 as in Eq.4.
>
> o Fig.9.  The dashed line is not y=x, but is offset.  Was this just to
>   "best fit" the data, or is there some other reason ?
>
> o Fig.11 and its interpretation.  Shouldn't the text say, "... vary
> from a
>   few tenths of mT (for magnet 3B4) up to about 3 mT (for magnets 3B1,
> 3B2
>   and 3B3)" ?
>
> o Section 6.5.  ArcTan(-0.4374) is not 23.49 deg.
Hi Matthew,
thanks for the comments. I will try to answer.
1) To calculate the resolution I needed only four, that's why I didn't
show all of them.

2) I saw that double peak structure...but unfortunately I have no
explanation for that. Probably some calibration constant changed!??! One
could check direct the I/Q values but I didn't do so far.

3) I just wrote down in a approximate way the numbers.They should be
corrected before any publication.

4) In principle you are right: in general what we need is a relation
like Y = X + constant. Since we normalize everything at the end, any
constant does not play any role so I omitted...

5) In the text I meant the relative difference between magnets. If they
all would have the same offset, It wouldn't be a problem.

6) ArcTan(0.4374) = 0.412326504 radians = 23.62 degrees... Sorry I wrote
a bit wrong:-) Did you mean this?

hope to hear other comments :-)))

Michele** **