[esa-t474] papaer - terminology

Yury Kolomensky YGKolomensky at lbl.gov
Sat Sep 29 12:17:40 BST 2007

	Hi all,

I more or less agree with what Alex is proposing. I think "resolution"
is conventionally understood as one-shot "statistical" error of the
measurement. Precision is a bit more ambiguous, so I prefer resolution,
which is a more conventional word anyway. "Accuracy" usually refers to
absolute error, i.e. both statistics and systematics, so if dominated
by systematics (drifts), it's appropriate to use it.

As for other controversial terminology, I am in favor of tilt and not
slope, which is too ambiguous. Slope would usually imply the angle of
the trajectory wrt Z axis.Tilt is quite straightforward to understand
without explanation, actually. In aircraft (and building) dynamics,
pitch, yaw, and roll are standard, and tilt refers to either pitch and
yaw. In the NanoBPM paper, Sean invented "angle of attack" and "angle
of incline", or something like that, which I hated, because you have to
look up the definition to understand what it means. So I am not
suggesting we do that.

Yury