[esa-t474] 3rd Draft of Paper

Bino Maiheu bino at hep.ucl.ac.uk
Wed Sep 26 13:09:00 BST 2007

Hi Mark,

Here are the combined comments from Alex and myself for the first two
chapters of the paper. Our comments on the rest of the paper we will
bundle by friday.

Cheers,
     bino

0. Global remark : check out the tense of the paper, do we want all in
   present or past, or setup in present, what we've done in past ?

1. Title of paper too long,
   -> suggest : "The S Band Cavity BPM system for ILC spectrometer
                 tests at ESA in SLAC"

2. Author list... alfabetically etc..., will prob be requested by NIM.

3. Add "Acknowledgements" at the end : Work supported by EuroTeV, DOE,
bla bla...

4. Abstract : doesn't read fluently,
     -> line 16. : get rid of "this year".
     -> maybe already quote some basic results in the abstract...
     -> suggest rewrite :

        The main physics programme of the International Linear Collider
(ILC)
        requires a measurement of the beam energy at the interaction
point with
        an accuracy of $10^{-4}$ or better. To achieve this goal a
magnetic spectrometer
        using high resolution beam position monitors (BPM) has been
proposed. This
        paper reports on the cavity BPM system that was deployed. We
demonstrate sub micron
        resolution and micrometer level stability over a few hours for a
40 m long base line.
        The understanding of the behaviour and response of the BPMs
gained from this work
        allowed spectrometer tests to be carried out at a later stage.

     -> or something like that...

5. Introduction
   -> general comment: reads very influently, bad english !!
   -> line 19 : "...to control the collision energy"  :
        The energy measurements don't control the collision energy !
        and get rid of the \sqrt{s}
   -> line 22 : "... particle resonances in the continuum", "scalar top
sector", etc..
        to heavy : just keep  something like "... threshold cross
section measurement and
        reconstruction of particle resonances. To achieve the required
accuracy.... "
      and kill lines 21 -> 25, we 're not discussing the standard model.

   -> line 26, line 28 : 2x accuracy... replace!
   -> line 30 : not "displaced", but "deflected",
   -> line 30 : "by the an angle" -> "by an angle"

   -> line 32, 33 : "where c is the speed  [...] along which the beam
                     travels."
       replace by : "where c is the speed of light, q the electic
                     charge of the particle,
                     E_b the energy of the bunch, B the magnetic field
                     and dl the path segment ...."

   -> lines 34 -> 39 : suggest replace by :

      "Two identical magnets with opposite field allow the beam energy
       to be measured as a function of an induced horizontal
       displacement $x$, given by

         --> equation (3),

       in case of small deflection angle $\theta$."

   -> line 40 : "thus..."
       suggest : "Therefore the precision and accuracy of the measured
                  offset $x$, contributes directly to the
                  uncertainty....".

   -> line 44 : LEP -> LEP2 ( everywhere ! )

   -> line 43 : check reference [3], is this really quoted in this
                paper ? CHECK !!

   -> line 50 : "of the beam displacement measurement" : too heavy
        suggest : "of the measurement"

   -> line 51 : "revolutons" : typo

   -> line 51,52 : "(the bunch averaging ... used.)" : get rid of
         this, other wise one has to explain.

   -> Figure 1 : don't like the style of this figure, too bulky.
                 change to something similar to figure 2

   -> Figure 1 : is'nt the orientatio nof the magnets reverse ? (
                 check pink floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" :) ! )

   -> line 53 : get rid of the 1 $\mu$m

   -> line 58 : 10${-4}$, already mentioned, don't have to repeat it

   -> line 57->61 : too much bla bla, rewrite !

        "These constraint make the requirements for the BPM system of
         the ILC spectrometer much more stringent than at LEP2."

   -> line 60 : either move [4] after "deflection", or consider better
      reference ( e.g. RDR or so)

   -> line 61,63 : "However, designing..." : from "la la"-land
       suggest :
       "However a better performing BPM system would allow smaller
        deflection, and therefore reduce the emmittance growth due to
        synchrotron radiation."

   -> line 63 -> 66 : rewrite : "In addition, the system has to be
        stable to the level of 500 nm over multiple hours..."

   -> line 67 : get rid of "In addition to the spectrometer
                            application".

   -> line 69,70 : "...must be tuned...", "... must be measured with a
      resolution of 1 um for orbit correction and emmittance
      preservation. High resolution BPMs are also required for
      the beam delivery system (BDS)."

   -> line 74 : "require" -> "requires"

   -> line 76, 82 : sounds too much like an abstract,

        suggestions :
        - get rid of "unique environment" : not promo-talk + mentioned
          in next chapter !

        - have to mention here that this is in the context of the T474
          experiment ( hasn't been mentioned so far ) + refer to the
          T474 propsal !!

        - Suggest beginning :

         "In the framework of the T474 test beam experiment at End
          Station A (ESA) several BPM stations were installed the
          40 m of drift space available."

        - line 80 : "Extensive testing"
           more something like "deployment, commissioning and
           optimisation"

6. Chapter 2 : ESA Beam etc..

   -> Sectioning is to detailed, suggest :

      Section 2 :  "ESA Beam and Hardware Configuration"

              2.1  : "End Station A Facility"
                   -> bring all the stuff under beam config, (
                      currently 2.1,2.2,2.2.1,2.2.2) optics, etc in
                      here !

              2.2  :  "The BPM System"
                   2.2.1 : "Cavity specifications"
                            --> include current 2.3.1 and 2.3.2
                   2.2.2 : "Processing electronics and DAQ"
                            --> include current 2.4 and 2.5
                   2.2.3 : "Mover system and mechanical stability
                            monitoring"
                            --> inlude current 2.6 and 2.7

   -> line 84 -> 90 : suggest rewrite :

       "End station A as SLAC which witnessed the discovery of quarks
       in the seventies has in recent years become host to serveral
       experiments mainly developing instrumentation for the
       ILC. Energy spectrometry experiments, both BPM and
       synchrotron light based, collimator wakefield measurements,
       novel bunch length and profile monitors all profit from the
       unique high energy beam with key properties similar to those of
       the ILC."

  -> table 1. : - bunch charge more like 1.6e10
                - number of bunches per train no longer valid i think,
                  refer to latest value ( RDR )

  -> line 92,... :
       suggest rewrite :
               "The ESA beam is produced by the main SLAC LINAC with a
                maximum energy of 50 GeV."

  -> put [8] behind the 50 GeV ??

  -> line 97,98 : "was set at 10 Hz" -> "was set to 10 Hz"

  -> line 98 : "containing up to 2e10"

  -> line 100 : is beam switchyard branching off to PEP-II ?
        suggest rewrite :
         "beam switchyard, where it was directed in to the A - Line
          leading up to ESA."

  -> line 104, 105 : get rid of first sentence, actually get rid of
     everything up to line 107, up to "On entering.." : doesn't give
     any info, just confuses !!

  -> line 107 -> 109 : get rid of "100 m in length." and make 1
     sentence: "... a bending section consisting of two identical..."

  -> Figure 2: Need to explain what wakefield box mean, or change to
     "collimator wakefield experiment"

  -> line 111, 112 : sentence doesn't really make sense, rewrite !

  -> line 113 : symmetry quadrupole ???

  -> line 117 : get rid of "as wel as to give flexibility.", not a
       promo talk !

  -> line 117 : "steel dipole" -> "dipole". Steel is irrelevant.

  -> line 119 : "This second dipole pair" : refer to figure 2 : xcor
     28,32, ycor 29,33...

  -> line 127 : the beam profile monitor is not in the diagram

  -> line 128 : replace the word "straddled", Belgian, and Russian
       guys present here !!!!

  -> entire section 2.2.2 : everything is "located", variation needed
     !!

  -> line 128, 129 : bad sentence construction

  -> line 129 : replace "collimator wakefield box used by the T480" by
      "the collimator wakefield experiment, T480, ....

  -> line 132 : get rid of wakefield "box"  -> "T480 setup"

  -> line 135 : replace "ion chambers" by "beam loss monitors"

  -> line 136: refer to figure 2 already at the top of this paragraph,
               after the first sentence !

  -> line 137,138 : kill the first sentence, is described afterwards

  -> line 138 141 : suggest rewrite :
     "A position feedback system taking the response of
      BPMs 31,32,1 and 2 stabilised large scale beam drifts to about 10
      um. It used trim coils on corrector magnets 28,29.... etc."

      something like this

  -> Figure 3: Suspect that the optics displayed doesn't match the
     beamline above !! e.g. the last focussing quadrupole doesn't
     match the last maximum of the betx function. Was the top part
     shifted ? Also the experimental hall doesn't contain quadrupoles
     as could be inferred from the beamline division above the plot
     !!!!!!!

  -> line 141 : "A similar... to control... " -> "An other... to
                 stabilise... "

  -> line 146 : "Using the toroids..."
       -> suggest replace by
        "Using charge sensitive toroids, the absolute value of the
         bunch charge could be measured.

  -> line 147 : "give user feedback" -> "monitor"

  -> line 148 -> 150 : Hmm, think about how to phrase this, depends on
     the used optics obviously. Comparison to measurement ??? ->
     Mention paper from frank ??

  -> Table 2 :
       - think the frequency of the ILC LINAC BPMs is 2859 and not
         2856, have to check !!
       - do we have more accurate values for the Q values ?

  -> Figures 4 and 5 : make smaller, put next to each other and
     replace figure 5 by a better picture ( maybe just one single
     BPM).

  -> for entire section 2.3.1 ( lines 157->169 )

      - line 157 : "Rectangular cavites made up"... rewrite !!!

      - probably mention the problems here already with BPM 41 ( or
        which one was it )

      - refer to Q as "loaded Q", or "Q_L"

      - mention the dipole modes for rectangular cavity TM120, TM210
        with a reference

      - lines 167->169 : all this is mentioned in table 2, just refere
        to that table!!!

      - mention that the rectangular cavities were tuned with external
        tuners

      - results from VNA measurements ( Yury ?? )

      - explain briefly in the text what the frequency ( freq of
        dipole mode), aperture, Q factor ( what means the quality
        factor... )

  -> line 184 : "coupled from" -> "coupled out of"

  -> line 185 : "just prior" -> "prior"

  -> line 186 : have to mention the attenuators and the phase shifter in
                the text as well.

  -> line 187 : mention the bandwitdh in text, not by having "\Delta
     \omega", but saying "is being filtered using a band pass filter
     around 2856 MHz with a 20 MHz bandwidth"

  -> line 188 : not really "maximise" the dynamic range.. think about
     this !!

  -> line 192, 193 : get rid of the variable attenuator sentence, this
     was originally the frond-end attenuator, not present on the back
     end.

  -> line 195 : we don't mention the counting house up to this,
     introduce it.

  -> line 199 : 3 dB ? think it was 6 dB

  -> line 202 :	LINAC RF -> "LINAC main RF drive line (2856 MHz)"  <--
     mention ! "

  -> line 203 -> 207 : needs a bit of thinking and rewriting !!! check
     yury's mail + discuss : more info needed !

  -> figure 7 : do we need this ? doesn't add anything to the paper
     and not very informative ! -> add some of its info to the text

  -> lines 218 -> 221 : get rid of the itemisation, write it out in
     text!!

  -> line 226 : "2mm per revolution screw" -> "2 mm pitch screw"

  -> line 240 : only mention "a measurement of the relative velocity",
     probably want to mention the position as well ;)

  -> line 242 : as we quote \lambda / 2048, we need to give the
     frequency of the laser as well

  -> line 249 : "a generalised version of the SVD method" : leave out
     or refer to something or explain what you mean by this !

  -> line 250 : Is it not the aluminium support which induces
     larger vibration as well and not solely the mover brackets !!

  -> table 3 :
       - change layout of table, next to each other, make wider!
       - run 1421 : quote as a time, not as runnumber, doesn't mean
         anything
       - is NRB an accepted abbriviation ? only use it a couple of
         times, so write in full each time... avoid having too many
         consultancy-style abbreviations !

--
                                                  !!!!!
                                                 ( o o )