[esa-t474] Paper - draft 4.0

Mark Slater slater at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 29 13:18:22 GMT 2007

Hi All

I've prepared another draft of the paper for people to look at. I gathered
from the last meeting that people are happy with the plots up to the
resolution stability results and so these are what I have been
concentrating on for the last week. After a lot of investigation and
making lots of plots, I believe I can now explain the vast majority of the
stability variations. Excluding BPM 1 which has serious cross talk issues,
the remaining BPMs are dominated by low amplitude effects over short time
scales and scale variation over long time scales. When linking the BPM
stations, these effects still dominate though the resultant drifts are
significantly larger due to both the longer baseline and the SVD
weighting. There is also some dependence on the charge for the linked
stability in y which I've attributed to monopole leakage in BPM 2.

If people could give these new plots a look and let me know what they
think of the conclusions, that would be great. Essentially, I wanted to
get these out ASAP as sorting out the English, etc. is secondary to
everyone agreeing on the analysis. If everyone's happy with the results
and conclusions, then that will be the most important issue out of the
way.

I have yet to perform the study suggested by Mike and Yury previously
about using the SVD on position shifts (rather than just positions) to
calibrate BPMs 3 and 5 from BPM 4 and I will e-mail again when this is
done.

I will now concentrate on sorting out the English and the other little
details which I would hope wouldn't take more than a week. Unless people
have significant comments on the analysis, I would be happy to hold off
meeting until I've sorted out everything on the paper and so will e-mail
again when that's been done.

Many Thanks for you patience,

Mark

P.S. Mike: I haven't included the stuff you sent me for Chapter Two yet
but I will include it in the next draft. Thanks!