[esa-t474] Your submission (fwd)

stewart boogert sboogert at pp.rhul.ac.uk
Tue Dec 18 22:42:47 GMT 2007

Dear Eric, Mark and T474,

The reviewers comments are quite interesting and all quite beyond the
scope of the paper, which is principally machine physics.

1) The peak of the spectrum is the most important feature with regards
the
physics program. The luminosity spectrum at the collision point
bounded at the
top by the spectrometer measurement. In fact for M_t and M_h this is
the most important
feature. The effect of the luminosity spectrum is convoluted with the
threshold structure
being investigated, so the large energy loss beamstrahlung events are
suppressed and
only the peak really contributes.

2) Absolutely no physics measurement (particle flow, or even more
exotic for
any physics process ) can provide a precision energy measurement at any
reasonable time scale. It is possible to measure the beam energy using
radiative returns to the Z but this analysis is incomplete and
provides energy
measurements at similar frequencies to physics rate.

3) The measurement of Bhabha scattering can provide information on
the momentum imbalance between the two colliding beams on a more rapid
time
scale, but this method as formulated in all treatments does not
reconstruct the collision
centre of mass energy, only the fractional energy loss from the
maximum beam energy.
Of course then one requires the energy spread of the machine too. From
Bhabhas the momentum
mismatch between the beams \Delta p can be measured not what p
actually is.

4) I would think that more important comments are that the energy loss
from the measurement
location and just before collision are more important as it is quite
difficult to measure this
effect. Bino is simulating now, but we do not yet know the answer.

I can definitely add come text to the paper to this effect if the
reviewer agrees.
There is little published in this area, something Eric. Mike and I
have been trying
to correct for a while but without success.

I'll add a little more text to Mike's paragraph in a few hours and
send around.

Cheers,
Stew