[esa-t474] Proposed corrections

Woods, Michael B. mwoods at slac.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 18 01:35:38 GMT 2007

Hi Mark, should remove the word "upstream" in sentence "...in addition to this upstream energy measurement".  For the bhabha reference, suggest to also include
Questions about the measurement of the e+ e- luminosity spectrum at a future linear collider, Stewart T. Boogert, David J. Millee; 2002. e-Print: hep-ex/0211021.
I think should give a little more explanation as well about the lumi spectrum which might satisfy the editor's comment on PFAs and physics analyses.

Suggest something like following wording:

"The physics potential of the International Linear Collider (ILC) depends greatly on precise energy measurements of the electron and positron beams at the interaction point (IP). Two types of physics analysis are particularly sensitive to the collision energy:  threshold cross-section measurements and reconstruction of particle resonances \cite{ref:theory_measurements}.  The goals for accurate mass determinations in these analyses require the fractional error on the incoming beam energy be better than $10^{-4}$. An additional complication for physics analyses is that the colliding particles can emit initial state radiation (ISR) or beamsstrahlung, resulting in a luminosity spectrum for the center-of-mass collision energy.  The luminosity spectrum is peaked at the sum of the incident electron and positron beam energies but has a long low energy tail.  In principle, ISR effects can be calculated but beamsstrahlung effects depend sensitively on the collision parameters and need to be
determined experimentally.~\cite{ref:instr_reqs}   The luminosity spectrum will be extracted using energy spectrometers and measurements of the acolinearity angle distribution in Bhabha events, a full discussion of which is beyond the scope of this paper~\cite{ref:bhabha}.  To measure the incoming energy to the required accuracy and to minimise the disruption of the beam, a magnetic spectrometer has been proposed."

Cheers, mike