[esa-t474] minutes of the T474 phone conference

Bino Maiheu bino at hep.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Oct 2 21:37:24 BST 2006

Hi All,

I've put up minutes of today's T474 phone conference, with apoplogies
for any mistakes or omissions. The internet connection for Skype from
Poland was rubbish, so was difficult to follow everything.

http://www.hep.ucl.ac.uk/~bino/T474/20061002.html

Nikolay, I've cc'd you, i didn't know whether you're on the list, so
my apologies if you get this mail twice.

Below you can find a forwarded mail from Ray concerning stray field
variations, which he asked me to forward.

Cheers,
     bino

---- Mail from Ray :-----------------------

Bino,

Here is the info I have on earth field variations.  Would you send it on
to the T474 group.  I don't have such a list that you seem to use.

    Facts:

      Earth's field = 24,000 to 66,000 nT

        1 Gauss = 1 Oersted = 100,000 nT
        1 gamma = 1 nT

Earths field has much variation mostly from sun activity.  See Figure 1
at  http://www.ips.gov.au/Educational/3/1/2.

There is a peak at frequencies of hundreds of seconds at about 100 gamma
=
100 nT, which is probably too small for you to see on the flux gate.
There are also variations of hundreds of nT over larger (minutes to
hours)
time scale that you may be able to see.

   Check out:

http://www.ips.gov.au/Educational/3/1
http://nationalatlas.gov/articles/geology/a_geomag.html
http://www.geomag.bgs.ac.uk/earthmag.html
http://www.wdcb.ru/stp/cat1GEO.html

    Ray

Raymond G. Arnold                        arnold at slac.stanford.edu
M.S. 42 SLAC                             voice (650) 926-2755
P.O. Box 4349                            fax   (650) 926-2407
Stanford, CA 94309

--
                                                  !!!!!
                                                 ( o o )